I must admit that I am not big on Valentine's day, I think it is just another day for business to generate hype and revenue (but who can resist fresh roses!). This Valentine makes me think of the my favourite cool fictional couples.
If it comes to TV couple, it would be Carrie and Mr. Big FULL STOP. As for movies, I do love romantic movies but the ones that are non-hollywood, dark or just non-rom-com, if you know me well.
Here they are in no particular order (Sorry, you won't see Leo and Claire Danes in Romeo and Juliette on this post, neither would you see Gosling in The Notebook here):
1. Marla and The Narrator in Fight Club (played by Helena Bonham Carter and Edward Norton)
Other than wanting to look like Marla, I love Chuck Palahniuk (the writer of the book) and the final scene when the buildings were blowing up around Marla an The Narrator, possibly the most romantic scene ever.
2. Alabama and Clarence in True Romance (played by Patricia Arquette and Christian Slater)
I watched this movie once and would love to watch it again. Patricia Arquette as Alabama, a hooker runaway with Clarence after stealing some cocaine a is just flawless. I also watched the alternate ending which changed EVERYTHING.
3. Mickey and Mallory Knox in Natural Born Killers (played by Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis)
Okay, you get the theme here, a little violent but Mallory is who I want to be if I am a psycho serial killer chick on the run with an equally psycho boy. I can't think of anyone else to play Mickey and Mallory Knox other than Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis.
4. Edward Scissorhands and Kim in Edward Scissorhands (played by Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder)
Kim: Hold me
Edward: I can't
Nothing more romantic that those words. These two then went on to become the coolest couple in real-life.
5. Mrs Chan and Chow Mo-wan in In The Mood For Love (played by Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung)
Okay, now onto something less violent and dark... they are possibly the most elegant couple in Asian cinema, the clothes and beautiful cinematography makes their forbidden love so painfully beautiful.
6. James and Em in Adventureland (played by Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart)
I love both Jesse and Kristen, and this movie made me laugh and cry especially the scene when James got a little "excited" in the pool. Em is obviously the cool girl that every teenage boy wants. It is just a really sweet romantic movie and a little underrated so I love that.
7. Juno and Paulie in Juno (played by Ellen Page and Michael Cera)
Same deal like Adventureland, I have a thing for hopeless romantic nerd like Paulie Bleeker or Bleeks (cute!) played by Michael Cera and cool girl Ellen Page nailed everything that she does.